PENSION 275, 498, 557, 665, 692, 948

Find all of your Pension Fund resources.

PENSION 275, 498, 557, 665, 692, 948

Look below to find Forms, Plan Documents & Notices, FAQs and more...

PENSION 275, 498, 557, 665, 692, 948

Can't find what you need?
Call Toll Free: (855) 633-4584 or send your question through the Contact page.


Welcome to the Michigan Electrical Employees' Fringe Benefit Funds Website!

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please visit the contact page to connect with one of our experts.


When do I become a Participant in the Pension Fund?
You become a Participant on the first day of the month after you accrue 435 hours of work in 12 consecutive months.
What is the Fund’s Plan year?
The Plan Year is January 1 through December 31.
How do I earn a Year of Service?
You earn one (1) Year of Service for each Plan Year in which you accrue at least 435 hours of work.
When do I have a right to receive a benefit from the Pension Fund?
You are entitled to a benefit when you become “vested.” You will be 100% vested once you earn five (5) Years of Service.
What is a Break in Service Year?
A Break in Service Year is where you accrue less than 435 hours of work during a Plan Year. If before you are vested, you accrue five (5) consecutive Break in Service Years, you will suffer a Permanent Break in Service and your Years of Service will be cancelled and you will no longer be a Participant.
When would I become an Inactive Participant?
Should you have two (2) consecutive Break in Service Years, you become an Inactive Participant at the end of the second Break in Service Year. As an Inactive Participant, you are only eligible to receive those benefits that you are vested in and your benefits may be calculated different than an Active Participant.
What benefits does the Pension Fund provide?
The Fund provides Normal Retirement, Early Retirement, Vested Retirement, Disability and Death/Survivor Benefits.
What does it mean to “retire”?
This is an important concept. Please see Page S-16 of the Summary Plan Description.
When will I be eligible for a Normal Retirement Benefit?
You are eligible for a Normal Retirement Benefit if you have completely retired and stopped working while you are an Active Participant and are at least 65 years old.
When am I eligible for an Early Retirement Benefit?
You are eligible for an Early Retirement Benefit if you have completely retired and stopped working, are at least 57 years old (but less than 65 years old) and have earned at least ten (10) Years of Service.

To learn more about Early Retirement Benefits, see Page S-22 of the Summary Plan Description.
When will I receive the benefits in which I am vested?
If you have accrued at least five (5) but fewer than ten (10) Years of Service, you will be eligible for a monthly benefit payable when you reach age 65. This benefit would be based on the Normal Retirement provisions of the Fund.

If you accrued at least ten (10) Years of Service before you became an Inactive Participant, you will be eligible, at your option to begin receiving a reduced benefit on or after your 57th birthday.

For additional information on vesting, see Pages S-29 and S-30 of the Summary Plan Description.
In what form will my Retirement Benefit be?
The Pension Fund provides five (5) forms of benefits: Straight Life Benefit, 50% Qualified Joint and Survivor Benefit, 75% Joint and Survivor Benefit, 100% Joint and Survivor Benefit, and Life – Ten Years Certain Benefits.

Please see Pages S-17 to S-25 of the Summary Plan Description for a description of each form of benefit and sample calculations.
What happens if I return to work after my retirement benefits have started?
The Return to Work and Suspension of Benefits provisions are described on Pages S-30 to S-32 of the Summary Plan Description.
When am I eligible for a Disability Benefit?
You are eligible for a Disability Benefit if you become totally and permanently disabled while you are an Active Participant, under age 65 and must be eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits. Please see Pages S-32 to S-34 of the Summary Plan Description.
What should be done in the event a death?
It is important that the Fund office be notified of you or your spouse’s death and that a copy of the death certificate be sent to the Fund office as soon as possible.
If I die before retirement and am not married, are any benefits payable?
If you have not begun receiving your Retirement Benefits and you are not married at the time of death (or married for less than one year), your beneficiary will receive a lump sum life benefit equal to the percentage of all your employer contributions based on your Years of Service.
What will my Spouse receive upon my death?
If you die prior to being eligible for a Normal, Early or Vested Retirement Benefit, and you have been married for at least a year, your spouse may elect to receive a deferred monthly survivor benefit or an immediate lump sum cash value benefit.

Should you be eligible for a Normal, Early or Vested Retirement benefit at the time of your death, but had not started it yet, your spouse will be eligible for an immediate 50% Joint and Survivor benefit.

Please refer to Pages S-35 and S-36 of the Summary Plan Description for additional information about Death and Survivor benefits.
How do I designate a Beneficiary?
To name a beneficiary, please complete the Beneficiary Designation Form.

Please keep in mind that if you have been married for more than one year, you must have your spouse’s consent to name a Beneficiary other than your spouse and cannot do so until you reach age 35. View and complete the Election to Waive Surviving Spouse Benefit Form.
Do I need to contact the Fund office if I am divorced?
Yes, it is important that prior to retiring, you submit copies of all entered and/or proposed Judgment of Divorces, Separation Agreements, Property Settlement Agreements and Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO). When these documents are provided to the Fund office, the Pension Fund’s attorney will decide whether any portion of your retirement benefit has been assigned to your spouse, former spouse, child or dependent. You are encouraged to provide these documents as soon as they are entered and not wait until you retire, so that any issues that arise can be addressed in a timely manner.

Please see Pages S-36 to S-38 of the Summary Plan Description for additional information.
How can I receive an estimate of my Retirement Benefits?
Each year you will receive a Benefit Estimate Statement which provides you current information on your monthly accrued benefit.

If you wish to receive additional retirement information, including an estimate under the various benefit options, please contact the Fund Office to request a benefit estimate.
How can I apply for benefits from the Pension Fund?
It is recommended that you contact the Fund office about 3-4 months before your anticipated retirement date. This will allow you time to gather and submit all required documents. You start the process by contacting the Fund office to request an Application for Benefits.

After your request is received and processed by the Fund office, an Application for Benefits packet will be mailed to you for your completion.
Will income taxes be withheld from my monthly benefit?
Withholding for Federal and State of Michigan income tax will be withheld based on you completing the tax election forms. You should contact your tax preparer, advisor or accountant to discuss your personal tax situation before submitting your application. You may change your withholding at any time by contacting the Fund Office for or downloading the following forms:

Federal Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments: W-4P
Michigan Form MI W-4P Withholding Certificate
How do I sign up for direct deposit?
You can sign up to have your monthly Retirement Benefit deposited to your checking or savings account by completing the Direct Deposit Authorization Form.

If you want to make a change to your direct deposit, please complete a new Direct Deposit Form for your new account and submit it to the Fund office as soon as possible.


Change of Address

Change of Name

Beneficiary Designation Form

Contiguous Nonemployment Benefit Form

Divorce or Annulment Application

Electronic Deposit Authorization Form

Employee Reciprocal Authorization Form


Federal Withholding Election Form

MI W-4P Form

Estimate Request Form

Temporary Return to Work Notification Form

Total & Permanent Disability Application


Local Union Directory

Trustee Roster

Summary Plan Description (SPD) - 202104

Notice of Benefit Improvements 202204

Notice of Waiver of Suspension of Benefits 202011

Return to Work Notice 201811

Notice to Retirees 201711

Notice of Critical Status 201703

Change in Administrator